Friday 3 June 2011

Activism is Not a Dirty Word

Activism consists of intentional action to bring about social, political, economic or environmental change.


Quite recently a friend of mine Alex and I met with the head of my accommodation at Weerona College to discuss the switch to free range eggs. The meeting was a success and the switch was made but what really caught my attention was her response when I praised student activism in the university environment. It was like she suddenly changed her view on the whole campaign. She told me that this was not activism but just positive awareness raising. If positive awareness raising is not a definition of a very prominent form of activism I don't know what is. Activism brings changes. Activism brings people together and gives them a voice that allows them to engage in the democracy our country is based around. Activists change the world and I am proud to be an activist on a number of issues! Actions speak louder than words - if you want to express an opinion make positive action. Activism is not a dirty word it is by definition a leading catalyst for change in democracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment